Welcome to the VCSE Power showcase! Our online library to celebrate the positive impact on health outcomes of the Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise sector, working in partnership with health and social care organisations in West Yorkshire.
NHS 75 and the VCSE
Charities were a fundamental building block on which our ground-breaking National Health Service was established in 1948, making health and care services free at the point of access to the entire population.
Today our VCSE organisations continue to grow and thrive as a key partner in health and care. In West Yorkshire we have an estimated:
- 13,987 VCSE sector organisations (registered and unregistered)
- 31,875 employees delivering 52.4 million working hours a year
- 126,000 volunteers giving at least 9 million hours of work valued at between £89 million and £126 million a year
- A direct economic value of £1.4 billon and a total estimated value of £5.4 billion when considering added and social value
As 5th July 2023 marks 75 years of the NHS, we would like to use this opportunity to recognise the vital role of the VCSE sector work force and volunteers in working ever closer with the NHS since its inception.
Hear from Kim Shutler, Senior Responsible Officer for West Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership’s Harnessing the Power of Communities Programme, about NHS 75 and the incredible work of the VCSE sector:
- You can read more about the contribution of the VCSE Sector to the Yorkshire and Humber region on our website here
- You can read find more about NHS 75, including more information, case studies and stories at: NHS England » About NHS 75
- You can read below a few of the amazing examples of work the VCSE sector are doing in West Yorkshire in each of our Places as well as celebrating some of our long running charities, our volunteers and the Windrush 75th Anniversary
To get involved on social media, follow and use the #VCSEpower hashtag on Twitter during the week.