Useful resources from the Health and Care Champions
The health inequalities faced by people with learning disabilities (LD) in the UK start early in life and stem from barriers to accessing appropriate and effective health care and are therefore, to an extent, avoidable. The Learning Disability Mortality Review (LeDeR) programme has highlighted that people with a learning disability still die much younger than the rest of the population (on average 20 years) and are three times more likely to die from causes that could have been avoided. Physical health checks and cancer screening can ensure that health problems are spotted earlier and, with the right type of care and support, treated effectively.
The Health and Care Champions together with other partners in the health and care system have created new information for professionals to make sure that people with learning disabilities get the care they need, and information for people with learning disabilities that helps them take part in screening when offered.
UK Disability History Month 18 November - 18 December 2021
As part of UK Disability History Month 2021 the Champions made these short films about their hidden disabilities.
Brian made a film about living with dyslexia
Bex and Paul made a film about Anxiety
The Champions received a briefing from local social workers about the Human Rights Act 1998.
This is a quote from a short film they have made about the Act:
"The Human Rights Act lets me know that I have the freedom to live my life the way that I want to."
The Champions have recently been discussing their views, experiences and concerns about the Covid19 vaccine
- Top Tips for Cancer
- Top tips for supporting people with Learning Disabilities in secondary care
- Top tips for delivering an Autism-friendly event
- NHS Bowel Screening Easy Read
- Mental Health explainer by the Champions
- You can read booklets for people with learning disabilities about Breast Screening and about Cervical Screening. Both booklets have audio too.
Healthier Lives videos
Here are some videos about cancer screening that the Champions have made accessible to people with learning disabilities by writing captions.
- Tanya talks about cancer screening
- Parveen talks about Cervical cancer screening
- Sue talks about cancer screening
- Laura talks about cancer screening
- Ralph talks about bowel cancer screening
- Mushtaq talks about bowel cancer screening
- Molly talks about bowel cancer screening
- How I keep healthy by dancing at home
- How I keep healthy by exercising at home
- How I keep healthy by going for a walk
- How I keep healthy by growing vegetables
- How I keep healthy by making my own fish and chips at home
Coronavirus (COVID-19) information
The Champions have produced a suite of materials that are helping people with Learning Disabilities manage their health during the coronavirus outbreak.
- Information about coronavirus
- Protect yourself and others from coronavirus
- Social distancing
- Looking after your mental health
- "Am I Getting Enough Vitamin D?"